Heather E. Nolan is a partner at InfoLawGroup, which she joined in 2011, having previously practiced at Wildman Harrold (now part of Locke Lord) in Chicago. Heather has over a decade of legal experience focused on digital and offline marketing, promotions, and ad campaigns and all related legal issues.
As a media, advertising, promotions, and intellectual property lawyer, Heather works closely with clients to develop, launch, and administer all types of advertising campaigns and promotions. Heather’s practice covers the spectrum of traditional and emerging advertising, promotions, and intellectual property issues. She regularly works on promotional offers, giveaways, sweepstakes, skill contests, games, loyalty programs, coupons, rebates, web sites, and mobile apps, as well as e-mail, text message, mobile marketing, and viral marketing campaigns, and all related agreements, terms, disclosures, and campaign elements. Heather has extensive experience handling all aspects of promotions that involve charities and charitable causes.
Heather is a member of the Brand Activation Association (“BAA”), part of the Association of National Advertisers, and formerly called the Promotion Marketing Association, and a frequent speaker at its annual law conference and webinars.
- Counseling about legal compliance for advertising and promotions in all forms of traditional and emerging media, including giveaways, sweepstakes, skill contests, charitable promotions, game promotions, loyalty programs, coupons, rebates, web sites, mobile apps, as well as e-mail, text message, mobile marketing, and viral marketing campaigns.
- Drafting consumer-related terms and conditions related to advertising campaigns and materials, promotions, web sites, apps, and social media platforms, and advising about related legal issues such as disclosures and consent/agreement.
- Drafting and negotiating transactional documents related to promotions, including sponsorship, co-promotion, charitable promotion, licensing, and other e-commerce, technology, and promotion agreements.
- Representing clients in various intellectual property litigation matters, with special focus on trademark matters.
- Counseling and representing clients in domestic and foreign trademark prosecution, maintenance, and enforcement matters, as well as domain string and domain name matters, including objection proceedings and protection measures under ICANN’s new gTLD structure and registration, maintenance, and arbitration matters under the UDRP.
- “Practical Tips for Registering and Bonding a Charitable Promotion”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, forthcoming November 2015
- “Updating Your Status 24/7”, Women Leaders in Advertising and Marketing Law conference, New York, NY, forthcoming October 2015
- “Social Media Promotions: UGC and Intellectual Property Issues in Social Media”, BAA Sweepstakes, Contests, and Games Council webinar, July 2015
- “Gamification”, BAA Sweepstakes, Contests, and Games Council webinar, July 2015
- “Social Media and IP Law” and “Getting the Biggest Bang for the Buck: Getting the Most out of Non-traditional IP”, Gulf Coast Intellectual Property Association, October 2014
- “Protecting your Brand in the New gTLD World”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2013
- “Spotlight on Promotion Contracts”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2012
- “Best Practices for Virtual Marketing, Blogs and Testimonials”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2011
- “Advertising Issues for Non-Advertising Lawyers”, IPLAC, Chicago, IL, November 2011
- “The Basics of Advertising”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2010
- “The Basics of Advertising”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2009
- Advertising, Marketing, and Promotions
- New Media
- Trademarks and other Intellectual Property
- Illinois, 2003
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 2003, magna cum laude
- University of Wisconsin, B.S., 2000