(e)firstname.lastname@example.org (p) 312.204.7199
Jamie Rubin joined Information Law Group as a partner in June 2011. Jamie is a media, promotions and intellectual property lawyer who works with clients to bring their advertising, promotional and entertainment campaigns from concept to execution. Jamie’s practice covers the spectrum of traditional and emerging advertising and entertainment issues. He works on national and digital advertising campaigns, celebrity spokesperson agreements, sweepstakes and user-generated content promotions, social networking and viral marketing matters, claim substantiation, mobile applications and beyond.
Jamie is a frequent speaker and author on new media topics and is recognized as a Leader in the Field for Media & Entertainment by Chambers Partners. Chambers has stated that Jamie “is recognized in the market for his expertise in marketing campaigns in both traditional and evolving media platforms. Client sources are effusive in their praise for his work, describing him as: ‘Strategic, smart, with a complete understanding of our business.’ He is also praised for his strong business acumen.” In 2011, Jamie was named one of the “40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 To Watch” by Law Bulletin Publishing Company, an impressive selection given the 1000-plus nominations Law Bulletin received in consideration for this accolade.
Jamie previously practiced as a partner in the Intellectual Property Group of Wildman Harrold Allen & Dixon LLP in its Chicago office and before that with the Entertainment & Intellectual Property Group.
Jamie’s experience includes:
- Representing clients in connection with a variety of co-promotion arrangements, strategic alliances and sponsorship deals.
- Drafting and negotiating all agreements affecting advertising and marketing campaigns, including ad, promotion, digital and pr agency agreements, media buying/planning agreements, branded entertainment agreements and talent and spokesperson deals.
- Drafting and counseling on social media policies and compliance with laws and guidelines affecting endorsements, testimonials, blogging and the general use of social media.
- Counseling clients on user-generated content issues, including the best ways to take advantage of unique protections afforded by the Communications Decency Act and Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- Counseling clients on claim substantiation, sales frequency and pricing issues.
- Representing challengers and advertisers in National Advertising Division (NAD) proceedings.
- Handling all aspects of legal compliance for national, regional and local sweepstakes, skill contests, trade promotions and commercial co-venture/charitable arrangements (including drafting official rules, reviewing ad copy, attending to state registrations and bonding, drafting winner affidavits and releases, etc.)
- Advising clients with respect to their e-mail and mobile marketing initiatives and advising clients who market to children (including on compliance with COPPA and CARU Guidelines).
- Assisting clients in structuring customer loyalty and incentive programs.
- Counseling clients with respect to copyright, trademarks and the rights of publicity and privacy.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts in such areas as web site development, hosting, content, ecommerce and music licensing, as well as software licensing and technology transactions.
- Advertising, Marketing and Promotions
- New Media
- Copyrights, Trademarks and Right of Publicity
- Chair, Chicago Steering Committee – Association of Media & Entertainment Counsel
- Promotion Marketing Association, now called the Brand Activation Association (Member: Government and Legal Affairs Committee and 2010 Co-Chair of the PMA Annual Marketing Law Conference)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D. 2000, Entertainment and Media Law Society, President, 1997 – 1999
- University of Iowa, B.A., Economics, 1997