The attorneys of InfoLawGroup have been very busy this summer, and August is no exception. In addition to our regular day-to-day work, we will (somehow) find the time to attend some great events in August. If you will be in San Francisco and/or Seattle later this month, please join us, we would love to see you:
- Later this week, August 5 and 6, all of us will be in San Francisco for, among other things, the meetings of the Information Security Committee of the Science and Technology Law Section at this year's American Bar Association Annual Meeting. We look forward to some great presentations, including "Breaking Down Walls: The Confluence of Security, Privacy and Law," one of our favorite subjects, moderated by our friend Peter McLaughlin of Foley & Lardner and featuring John Tomaszewski of TRUSTe and Bob West, CEO of Echelon One, LLC.
- In a couple of weeks, InfoLawGroup will be in Seattle for the pii2010 - privacy identity innovation conference. Taking place August 17-19 during "Seattle Geek Week," pii2010 will explore how emerging technologies and business models are impacting the way data is created, shared and aggregated, and how to strike a balance between protecting sensitive information and enabling innovation. Areas of focus will include:
- Effective approaches for building online trust with users
- Ways in which user preferences and social norms are shifting
- Changes in the regulatory landscape, in the U.S. and internationally
- The role of anonymity and the future of reputation management on the Web
- The latest developments in user-centric identity management
In addition, pii2010 will serve as the official launch pad for pii Labs, an open forum for brainstorming and collaborating, taking place at the Space Needle building on August 19. For more information and to register, visit http://pii2010.com. Speakers will include Michelle Dennedy of Oracle, Jim Reavis of the Cloud Security Alliance, and Chris Hoofnagle of Berkeley's Center for Law & Technology and the Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic. We expect this to be a great event. I will be blogging on location at pii2010, so keep an eye out for that.
Best wishes to all for a wonderful August!