Heather E. Nolan, a partner at InfoLawGroup, has over 13 years of legal experience focused on providing proactive and practical legal advice for marketing, promotion, and advertising programs using a wide spectrum of platforms and technology.
Heather is a key team member to clients by helping to address the myriad of legal issues throughout the planning, designing, launching, and administering of these programs, as well as for those clients who create and distribute their own content. On a daily basis, Heather counsels on the traditional and emerging intellectual property and digital media legal issues they trigger. She regularly works on multi-platform programs that involve digital videos, viral campaigns, web sites, mobile apps, promotional offers, giveaways, sweepstakes, skill contests, games, loyalty programs, coupons, rebates, and e-mail, text message, and mobile marketing, as well as all related agreements, terms, disclosures, and campaign elements. Heather also has extensive experience handling all aspects of promotions that involve charities and charitable causes.
Heather is a member of the Brand Activation Association (“BAA”), part of the Association of National Advertisers, and a regular speaker at its annual law conference and webinars. Heather previously practiced law at Wildman Harrold (now part of Locke Lord) in Chicago.
- Counsels about legal compliance for advertising and promotions in all forms of traditional and emerging media, including giveaways, sweepstakes, skill contests, charitable promotions, game promotions, loyalty programs, coupons, rebates, web sites, mobile apps, as well as e-mail, text message, mobile marketing, and viral marketing campaigns.
- Drafts consumer-related terms and conditions related to advertising campaigns and materials, promotions, web sites, apps, and social media platforms, and advising about related legal issues such as disclosures and consent/agreement.
- Drafts and negotiates transactional documents related to promotions, including sponsorship, co-promotion, charitable promotion, licensing, and other e-commerce, technology, and promotion agreements.
- Represents clients in various trademark matters, with special focus on clearance and prosecution.
- Advertising, Marketing, and Promotions
- New Media
- Trademarks and other Intellectual Property
- Illinois, 2003
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 2003, magna cum laude
- University of Wisconsin, B.S., 2000, phi upsilon omicron national honor society
- International and domestic travel, including to study drum and dance
“Practical Tips for Registering and Bonding a Charitable Promotion”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, forthcoming November 2015
“Updating Your Status 24/7”, Women Leaders in Advertising and Marketing Law conference, New York, NY, forthcoming October 2015
“Social Media Promotions: UGC and Intellectual Property Issues in Social Media”, BAA Sweepstakes, Contests, and Games Council webinar, July 2015
“Gamification”, BAA Sweepstakes, Contests, and Games Council webinar, July 2015
“Social Media and IP Law” and “Getting the Biggest Bang for the Buck: Getting the Most out of Non-traditional IP”, Gulf Coast Intellectual Property Association, October 2014
“Protecting your Brand in the New gTLD World”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2013
“Spotlight on Promotion Contracts”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2012
“Best Practices for Virtual Marketing, Blogs and Testimonials”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2011
“Advertising Issues for Non-Advertising Lawyers”, IPLAC, Chicago, IL, November 2011
“The Basics of Advertising”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2010
“The Basics of Advertising”, BAA Marketing Law Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2009